780 Guillemots this morning. Most birds have now moulted into summer plumage, but there are still some that are still moulting.
About this page...
This page is run by Lundy Bird Observatory (LBO) as a source of news for everyone interested in the birds and wildlife of Lundy, situated 12 miles out in the Bristol Channel, UK. If you have sightings to report, please consider sharing your observations or photographs with the Bird Obs team here. While you're here, check out the companion website The Birds of Lundy for comprehensive updates to the book of the same name (Davis & Jones, 2007). All bird recording and ringing activities on Lundy are coordinated by LBO and general information about visiting the island can be found here.
Wednesday, 10 December 2014
All those moulting Guillemots have kept me busy for the last few weeks. The last couple of days have been windy - too windy to take video - but it has given me time to catch-up. Here are the counts for the last month:
- 09/12/14 534 Guillemots on ledges
- 08/12/14 0+ Guillemots on ledges, (no count of Grand Falls Zawn, F6)
- 06/12/14 151+ Guillemots on ledges, (only Jenny's Cove counted), 25 minutes video.
- 30/11/14 623 Guillemots on ledges, 23 minutes video, peregrine eating immature gull.
- 27/11/14 285+ Guillemots on ledges (only Jenny's Cove counted), 35 minutes video, one bird with leg ring.
- 23/11/14 928 Guillemots on ledges, 15 minutes video
- 18/11/14 239+ Guillemots on ledges (only Jenny's Cove counted), 35 minutes video.