About this page...


You're now viewing the old Lundy Bird Observatory blogspot. Explore the new website for all your favourite island news and wildlife updates. If you have sightings to report, please consider sharing your observations or photographs with the Bird Obs team here.

Monday 24 June 2013

Guillemot pair D have lost their chick.

My first visit to the ledge since Thursday resulted in one loss and one gain. The loss was Chick D. I'd seen this chick fed twice last week. Today its parents were bringing fish to an empty ledge. 2011 was the only year that I've seen this pair raise a chick to "fledging".


The gain was chick B. Today was the first day that I'd seen the second parent returning to the ledge, so it was difficult to tell whether they had a chick or an egg. Their fish disappeared quickly, confirming the presence of a chick.


In total there were 8 feeds this morning. Chicks E, I, & H all received two feeds. Chick Q had a single feed.


Chick N was also seen, or at least I saw its beak poking out from under its parent's wing. More news tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment