About this page...


You're now viewing the old Lundy Bird Observatory blogspot. Explore the new website for all your favourite island news and wildlife updates. If you have sightings to report, please consider sharing your observations or photographs with the Bird Obs team here.

Tuesday 18 June 2013

3 Guillemot chicks fed this morning.

Seabird breeding season is my favourite time on Lundy. The highlight for me is when the auks start to bring back fish for their young. Puffins and Razorbills with beaks crammed full of Sand-eels or Guillemots with just a single fish.

I've been watching the Guillemots provision their chicks since 2006. The first year I just used a telescope, but since then I've been filming the ledges as well.



This particular ledge is near St Philip's Stone on the west coast. Today, I know that there are at least 3 chicks, and I'm expecting more to hatch any day. It looks like there could be 13 chicks when they've all hatched.


Things seem to be slightly behind this year. On this day last year there were 11 chicks on this ledge and they received a total of 15 feeds from their parents in 2 hours. This is an exceptionally  high rate - usually a chick will receive one fish in 4 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment